"In Jesus we find everything"

CONGREGATION OF THE SACRED HEARTS
of JESUS and MARY
General Government of the Brothers and Sisters, Rome

ESPAÑOL | ENGLISH | FRANÇAIS

Home / News / 80 years of SSCC presence in Tijuca – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Brs)

80 years of SSCC presence in Tijuca – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Brs)


The Parish of the Sacred Hearts in Tijuca (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil) celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving on October 9, 2016 at 6 p.m. to mark the 80th anniversary of the founding of the parish. The canonical establishment is dated May 31, 1936.

Most Reverend Luiz Henrique da Silva Brito, auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of São Sebastião of Rio de Janeiro presided. The vicar general, the moderator of the metropolitan curia, Father Claudio Santos (episcopal vicar of the zone)  and Provincial Father Sergio Stein sscc and other sscc brothers were present.

A HISTORICAL NOTE

The Congregation of the Sacred Hearts came to Brazil in 1925 when the first three missionaries set out from the Dutch Province among whom was Blessed Eustaquio van Lieshout accompanied by Gil van den Boorgart and Matias van Rooy.  On July 28, 1932, the first five were sent from Spain: Recaredo Ventosa, Nicolás Guardia, Raymond Fuentes, Teodosio Castilla y Miguel de León. Cardinal Dom Sebastiao Leme gave  into their care, the parish of “Ntra. Sra. Do Desterro”, in Campo Grande (Rio Janeiro).  Later the parishes of “Oswaldo Cruz” and  “Santa Rita” de Turiassu, were added. A parish in city center was promised.

At that time the community chose to serve in the barrio of Tijuca. They began looking around for the future location of the parish of the Sacred Hearts.  They rented a house in Desembaragador Street and a bigger one later with a hall at 406 Conde de Bonfim Street. Later they found good ground to finally construct a church on the same street, numbers 474 and 476. On the Feast of the Holy Spirit May 31, 1936 there was the canonical establishment. The Solemn High Mass was celebrated at 9 am presided by Bishop Francisco de Asís Caruso. Father Alberto Álvarez was named parish priest with the decree of Cardenal Sebastiao Leme dated May 26, 1936.

On June 17 1941, there was  construction of a new community residence and a parish hall.  On March 19, 1942, the papal nuncio. Archbishop Aloisio Masela blessed the Church of the Sacred Hearts which functioned provisionally in the church hall and on September 8th 1946, the corner stone of the future definitive church was formally laid. In May of 1947, the demolition of the two old houses was completed. There the religious community had lived on the upper floor for the past 8 years making use of the downstairs for the parish hall. 

On March 16, 1952, D. Jaime de Barros Camara blessed the new church begun in 1947 with dimensions of 9X24 meters. Later there were improvements: pews, bells, and the organization of the parish with religious associations and pastoral services. Over the years many pastors followed one another assisted by other brothers of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts.  The present pastor is Gerard Abilio Ribeiro sscc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37415674@N04/4079081591/

10/13/2016